Thursday, May 2, 2013

No seperation between emotional and physical self

Hard to believe it's been two months since I posted already. Life has been a whirlwind...

About a month ago I went to Dr. Kilgore for a check up and had a pelvic exam. Since my diagnosis, pelvic exams have always been uncomfortable for me. Dr. Kilgore is able to palpate the necrotic lesion in my right lower abdomen which is uncomfortable and a bit painful. However, when the exam is complete I'm fine and go about my merry way. The last exam was different. Yes, it was a bit painful as usual but the uncomfortable feeling didn't go away and it continued to get worse until it morphed into actual pain that I needed to medicate for.  I ended up in ER and a scan revealed another abdominal lesion. Surgery was scheduled for April 16 (My sister Janis' Birthday, Happy Birthday Jannie!)

I survived surgery for the removal of a mass in my right abdomen. The lesions in my lungs are being somewhat more problematic now. I'm maintaining about a 90 to 93 oxygen saturation on room air. I get short of breath with exertion and tire easily. Dr. Kilgore said that removing the tumor was like trying to pick up jello, so I'm sure there was spillage and recurrence is inevitable. I'm in recovery mode now, going along as expected I guess. Still fighting my physical and emotional instability...

I'm trying not to let my despair rob my happiness and living in the moment. I have to admit however, it's a struggle. For me, there is no separation between my physical and emotional self. When I feel good, I forget about Cancer for a moment. I'm energetic, happy, able to see beyond my current situation. But when I feel physically bad, I'm sad, depressed and feeling like there's no tomorrow...

No comments: