Monday, June 18, 2012

Options

Wow, I can't believe that 4 months have passed since my last post. So much has happened but I shall try my best to put my life to words in some sense of organized thought. We'll start with the end of January 2012...

After my visit with Dr. Green the radiologist, I was referred to Dr. Lewis who is a surgical Oncologist in the same practice with Dr. Kilgore. Rand and I visited as scheduled and discussed the option of surgery. Dr. Lewis' nurse Kathy was embracing, full of bubbles, energetic, honest, attentive and kind. Dr. Lewis was much the same and was enthusiastic about the surgical option. He reiterated that the surgery would be "major" because of the location of the tumor but that he felt confident that I would have a positive outcome. He also stated "I love Sarcoma's" which caught Rand and I by surprise. He likened much like a nutty professor rubbing his hands with a menacing grin as he prepared his specimen for his procedure. I stated "well I'm glad somebody loves Sarcoma's cause I sure don't" Dr. Lewis replied that Sarcoma's have a mind of their own and every one is different. He said they're un-predictable and challenging which makes them "fun" to work with...Geez...well ok then Dr. Lewis, what ever floats your boat...you get in there and have fun!

We decided to wait until the end of the summer to do surgery because I was just getting settled back into my job since my chemo treatments and starting to feel more "normal" (whatever that is) Also, we were getting ready to move to our land (no house yet, just a 32 ft camper with a room built on the front) Surgery is just not in the plan right now and besides, I'm not having any pain...3 months without pain! I've felt wonderful! I've been continuing my weekly Laser treatments with my good friend Dr. Dennis Jones. I've also been enjoying massage and acupuncture too. Thanks Doc!

So in the meantime, Dr. Lewis said that we would wait as long as I had no issues and we would re-scan in a few months with plans to do surgery at the end of the summer. My most recent scan showed a DECREASE in the size of the tumor. It went from 7cm to 5cm!!!! Which I feel attributes to the lack of pain. I am told that Sarcoma's don't invade organs, but they are "space occupying" Its not the Sarcoma itself that causes pain but the pushing and re-arranging of other structures and organs in the body caused by the Sarcoma. So, that's the plan...live and wait...

I must also mention that when I shared my complimentary treatments such as Laser, magnetics, acupuncture, B17, Shaitake and Maitaki mushrooms, CoQ10 and such with Dr. Lewis, he was enthusiastic and made the statement that he felt there was validity in complimentary treatments and had he not actually witnessed eradication under the microscope he wouldn't have believed it either. Wow! Now that got me excited!

No comments: